Michael R. Norton, BDS, FDS, RCS (Ed), an oral surgeon from London, England was elected Academy of Osseointegration’s (AO) newest president March 18 at the organization’s annual business meeting as part of its 2017 Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL. He succeeds Alan S. Pollack, DDS as Academy president.
In his remarks, Dr. Norton outlined highlights from his upcoming agenda to foster activity in the U.S. and abroad. This included supporting AO’s current efforts to develop a national (U.S.) study club network and operating outreach seminars at an increased number of universities. He also stated AO is best served by its multi-disciplinary platform, as evidenced by the 2017 collaborative Annual Meeting, to increase its relevancy, and said the AO Certificate in Implant Dentistry is an example of this effort.
Dr. Norton said he was pleased with AO’s ever-increasing brand awareness around the world, as evidenced by the number of individuals and organization requesting opportunities to become affiliated with the organization, including a second Japanese Charter Chapter, China’s Stomatological Association and symposiums with FDI World Dental congresses. On the topic of membership, Dr. Norton also announced a task force on tiered membership levels will be established to help attract new members from many far away countries.
The 2017 – 2018 board of directors serving with Dr. Norton are:
• President-elect: James C. Taylor, DMD, MA, a prosthodontist from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
• Vice President: Jay P. Malmquist, DMD, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon from Portland, OR
• Secretary: Tara L. Aghaloo, DDS, MD, PhD, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon from Los Angeles
• Treasurer: Clark M. Stanford, DMD, PhD, a prosthodontist from Chicago
• Past President: Alan S. Pollack, DDS, a practicing periodontist from New York City
• New Director: Joseph P. Fiorellini, DMD, DMSc, a periodontist from Philadelphia, PA
• New Director: Robert C. Vogel, DDS, a general practitioner from Palm Beach Gardens, FL
• Amerian D. Sones, DMD, MS, a prosthodontist from Dallas, TX
• Jeffrey D. Lloyd, DDS, a general practitioner from Rancho Cucamongo, CA
• Jöerg Neugebauer, DDS, PhD, an oral surgeon from Landsberg am Lech, Germany
• Hom-Lay Wang, DDS, MSD, PhD, a periodontist from Ann Arbor, MI
In concluding his remarks, Dr. Norton stated, “This is a massive moment in my career, indeed in my life, and I am indebted to every single person who has helped, encouraged and guided me down this road. Taking AO global and reaching a point where it has a non-American president is a big moment for the Academy itself, and I hope I can live up to the expectations and the task before me.”